One of the most popular events in the modern sports entertainment industry is the Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC). In what other arena can you have fighters from all disciplines compete against each other to prove who’s the best and what’s the best martial arts discipline?
By the way things are going; it seems that the dominant discipline that’s bringing on the wins and submissions is the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. So many champions have attested that Jiu Jitsu is their main discipline. The results are very obvious on the TV screens.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a development from the traditional Japanese Jiu Jitsu which has been a martial form for hundreds of years.
This popularity has created a new trend in men’s fitness and interests. 35% of today’s Jiu Jitsu students come from the middle-aged professional.
So, are they going to compete in UFC or are they just out to arm-lock their bosses for a raise? Their intentions are purely for physical fitness so they can eat more KFCs.
But joking aside, more and more adults are considering taking up Jiu Jitsu in place of their regular gym workouts or as a welcome change to their usual sedentary lifestyles.
Maybe it’s because too many are already into the fitness gyms. Some want to have that distinctiveness that can be provided by Jiu Jitsu. It’s certainly an activity that will set you apart from everyone else.
Even in the martial arts genre, Jiu Jitsu has its uniqueness. Instead of the usual kicks and punches, Jiu Jitsu focuses on the self-defense aspects, such as blocking, throwing and controlling an opponent, usually with only a small focus on striking, except to set up grappling techniques. Many joint locks and choke holds are applied from standing, either to throw an opponent off his feet or incapacitate him.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu also features no striking but focuses on grappling on the floor.
Origins of Japanese Jiu Jitsu
The word “Jiu” means; gentle, soft, supple, flexible, pliable, or yielding. The word “Jitsu” means art or technique.
Japanese Jiu Jitsu is hundreds of years old. The forms of Jiu Jitsu found across the world today have descended from the original Japanese Koryu schools or the old battlefield arts of Japan.
Jiu Jitsu was originally for the use by an unarmed warrior against an armed opponent and was typically only used if the warrior’s weapon was lost. Since punching or kicking an armored warrior would be very ineffective, the students of Jiu Jitsu believed that the best way to neutralize an enemy is in the form of pins, joint locks, and throws.
These techniques were developed around the principle of using an attacker’s energy against him, rather than directly opposing it. Instead of power, Jiu Jitsu develops and perfects the use of timing and balance.
As an art form that’s not confined for use of war, Jiu Jitsu was developed into a form of unarmed self-defense and spiritual development. There are many Jiu Jitsu schools, and the majority emphasizes self-improvement and self-defense.
It’s quite easy to get started in Jiu Jitsu. Once you have found a school that is accessible, all you need to do, in terms of preparation, is to buy a Jiu Jitsu gi with its corresponding Jiu Jitsu belt.
Buying Jiu Jitsu Belts and Gis
While your chosen Jiu Jitsu training center will have available Jiu Jitsu gis and Jiu Jitsu belts, There are several reasons why buying them online is more beneficial.
- Window shopping on the net will give you unlimited choices and will allow for valuable comparison.
- Checking out all the stores online, will allow you to find the best buy for someone who’s just entering the sport.
- Jiu Jitsu involves a lot of grabbing which will require very durable and heavy gis and belts. Surfing online will give you a chance to buy the best material.
- There is always no problem with sizes online. More often than not, dojos have limited sizes which force their students to settle with what’s available. You won’t have to settle for anything online but the best fit.
- Since most dojos are liberal about the choice of color for the Jiu Jitsu gi, Buying online, will give you your unique look.
- Online shopping gives you the advantage of reviews and customer feedbacks to help you with your decision.
- If you invest enough time in surfing, you might be able to take advantage of on-going promos and discounts.
- Some online martial arts supply stores offer warranty on their products. In a sport like Jiu Jitsu, where there is so much contact and abuse on the Jiu Jitsu gi, the likelihood of tears is higher. It would be very wise to take advantage of any warranty and guaranty on your purchases.
- Online, you have the convenience of buying via credit card with a 45 day float and 0% interest on installments.
- But most of all, when all the choices of products and suppliers are presented, you will have the power to buy exactly what you want without settling for anything less.
So, start surfing for the best dojos and the best Jiu Jitsu gis and belts. The next time you leave your computer seat, you should be on your way to your first Jiu Jitsu class